Finding Apartments to Rent in Oakland, CA
Oakland, California is a thriving city of almost 400,000, located in Alameda County, that serves as the major port hub of the San Francisco Bay area. As the eighth largest city in California, it is easy to find apartments and rentals in Oakland that come loaded with a wide selection of amenities to match your lifestyle. The Oakland area is situated along the waterfront on the east side of the bay, and has a history and character that speak to its roots as a major port district with cargo being shipped in and transported all across the U.S. The culture has an unparalleled vibrancy and youthfulness with unlimited recreational activities for all ages. The median rent in Oakland is $1,247, which is above the California average of $1205. However, this is below the average rent in the city of San Francisco, which is $1463. This makes Oakland an affordable place where just about anyone can find an apartment that works for him or her.
Top Neighborhoods in Oakland, CA
- Jack London District: While this neighborhood is named Jack London Square and Waterfront, it is essentially downtown Oakland. Approximately 12,000 residents live there and have nearby waterfront restaurants, boutiques and shopping malls. Special events at the Jack London Square include the Strictly Sail Pacific Boat Show, Moonlight Paddle, Jack’s Night Market, Pickin’ on the Bay Bluegrass Festival and Workout Wednesdays on the Bay. The area is great for residents who enjoy walking with just about everything available by foot.
- Lakeside Apartments District: The Lakeside Apartments District is one of the city’s most historic residential neighborhoods located between Lake Merritt and the downtown area of Oakland. The neighborhood contains mostly historically significant architectural buildings, and the larger neighborhood is within the perimeter along Lakeside Drive, 20th Street, 14th Street, Lake Merritt and the Civic Center.
- Piedmont: You will find the Piedmont Avenue neighborhood in North Oakland. It takes its name from the main commercial throughway, Piedmont Avenue. The neighborhood is bounded by Oakland Avenue, Broadway, the City of Piedmont, the MacArthur Freeway and the Mountain View Cemetary. The shopping in Piedmont is great with the affluent Montclair district adjacent to Piedmont. The neighborhood is known for highly rated and trendy restaurants, including Baywolf, Commis and Dopo.
Dining in Oakland, CA
By being a big city, Oakland has a wide selection of restaurants in every price range and cuisine. You have a great selection of ethnic restaurants with menu options from sushi to taquitos to burgers. The city has every type of big chain eateries, pizza huts, burger joints, pancake houses, Mexican, Asian, Indian and good old fashioned American diners. You will find Jack in the Box, McDonalds, Arby’s and Subway. If you are looking for a different dining experience, then Lake Chalet Seafood or Pican Restaurant will be sure to satisfy your appetite. If you really like Chinese food, Oakland has many great options including Plum Restaurant, Yoshi’s Oakland, or B&K Asian. Locals love the Italian restaurants, Oliveto and Luka’s Taproom and Lounge. If boutique breweries are your thing, Oakland has Pacific Coast Brewery, Linden Street Brewery, Anchor Brewing and Ale Industries.
Shopping in Oakland, CA
Oakland has the best of a big city and charm of a rural western town, and you will find everything from discount chains, big box retailers, boutiques and specialty stores. In addition to Target, Walmart, Costco, Sam’s Club, Kmart and more. The Oakland Mall has JC Penny, Sears and Macys as well as Abercrombie and Fitch, Aeropostale, Claire’s, Ecko, Footlocker, Forever 21, Guess and Fredericks of Hollywood. The mall has specialty stores for apparel, accessories, bath and beauty, electronics, shoes, jewelry, fabric and athletic apparel. With its proximity to the Sierras only a few hours away, outdoor gear shops include REI, Outdoor Pro and Bonanza.
Cultural Attractions in Oakland, CA
You can find all sorts of great things to do in Oakland. The city has the Oakland Zoo, Oakland Art Museum and Lake Merritt. Grand Lake Theater has old world charm and shows films from all over the world, and the Oakland Symphony Orchestra plays everything from classical masterworks to pops. In addition, the Downtown District has classic car shows, Indie film festivals, Blues Festivals and Rock and Roll celebrations. Plus, the East Bay Regional Park District is perfect for a contemplative stroll or hiking through exquisite scenery.View Apartments in Oakland, California
Sorry, no results were found.
Please search again using the following suggestions.
- Make sure that the city and state or ZIP are entered correctly
- Search for nearby cities.
- Try using less specific search criteria.
Your email has been sent.