Pascagoula is located in Jackson County, Mississippi. This major industrial city was a fishing town up until World War II and in the late 70s and 80s became well-known for obtaining defense contracts. Pascagoula’s biggest employers are Ingalls Shipbuilding and Chevron refineries. Travelers enjoy the fact they are surrounded by three airports making getting away easy.
Finding Apartments for Rent in Pascagoula, MS
If you are looking for apartments to rent you will find numerous options, from studio apartments to three-bedroom apartments. Additionally, most residents believe this area is considered not only culturally diverse but also a great place to raise a family. The Pascagoula school district has one high school, two middle schools and seven elementary schools. The Mississippi Assessment and Accountability Reporting System reported all the schools had good ratings, with most of them falling between Exemplary and Superior.
Cultural Attractions in Pascagoula, MS
Residents who are interested in the arts will find numerous opportunities to explore at Arts on the Avenue. In addition to offering arts classes, this fun location also showcases locally-made crafts. The gallery showcases local photographers, painters and sculptors and is overseen by a private board. They also offer a number of classes including pottery classes taught in a fully functioning studio. Other local attractions include the Scranton Shrimp Boat Museum as well as the Scranton Nature Center at IG Levy Park which offers exhibits including fossils of snakes and various sea life.
Top Neighborhoods in Pascagoula, MS
The entire Pascagoula area is diverse and offers a number of activities for families. Some of the top neighborhoods include:
- Ingalls Avenue/Louise Street: This suburb offers apartments in both complexes and high-rise buildings. Most of the real estate was built between 1940 and 1969 although another boom occurred between 1970 and 1999. The overall makeup of the neighborhood is families and most of them work in manufacturing. Nearly two percent of the residents in the area hold bachelor's degrees.
- Washington Avenue/Belair Street: This unique suburb is located on the water. Many of the residents in the area work as executives, and interestingly enough, nearly five percent are of British or Finnish ancestry. Apartment options include developments or high-rise buildings.
- Industrial Road and Old Mobile Highway: One of the most unique features of this suburban neighborhood is the percentage of military families which is higher than more than 95 percent of other US neighborhoods. Additionally, more than 38 percent of working residents hold manufacturing jobs.
Shopping in Pascagoula, MS
For shoppers, this area is a paradise with several small boutiques as well as some of the more traditional stores like WalMart. Some of the popular boutiques include:
- Glitt'r Bugz Boutique where you can find jewelry, accessory and purses.
- Pin-Up Spa and Boutique where you can treat yourself to a day of beauty and buy small gifts.
- Taylor Made Boutique where you can purchase monogrammed gifts.
- The Palace Gifts and Cafe Downtown offers unique gifts while you grab your favorite comfort foods.
Bargain hunters will love exploring the shelves at Fred’s Super Dollar Store where you can do everything from buying your prescriptions to purchasing a flat-screen television.
Dining in Pascagoula, MS
You will find some of the best restaurants in the area in Pascagoula. Of course, you can order your favorite pizza at Domino's but if you want to step out for a meal, there are many options including:
- Rob’s BBQ boasting the best BBQ in the area, offering family meals, ribs, sausage and a tasty Pineapple Nut salad for dessert.
- Casual dining is on the menu at Scranton’s Restaurant and if you need an event catered, they can help with that as well. For more than 30 years, they have been preparing local favorites like seasoned grit cakes, smoked pulled pork and seafood gumbo.
- Starting at 6am, you can get your daily caffeine fix by ordering hot, iced or frozen coffee or tea drinks and indulging in fresh baked cookies or pastries at Crazy B’s Coffee & Confections on Market Street in Pascagoula.
- You can step into the past and enjoy a plain hamburger or a chili cheeseburger at Edd's Drive-in as well. They have been serving homemade chili since 1953 on the side, on burgers or on hot dogs.
- Hibachi Grill offers a family buffet, and a great selection of Italian, Mexican, Japanese and American foods. Buffet prices are reasonable and it's a perfect place for the whole family because there is something for everyone.