In the late 19th century, an industrialist named Lewis Ginter visited Australia, where he was intrigued by the concept of living in the country and working in the city. Upon his return to the US, Ginter bought several hundred acres north of Richmond and developed the land according to his plan, which included long, broad streets, tile sewers, long hedges and lots of trees. By 1891, the families began populating the neighborhood. In 1895, a trolley line began servicing Ginter Park and residents could take the 15-minute trip into the city for only five cents.
Most of the homes
in Ginter Park feature architectural styles from the turn of the 20th century. The neighborhood has remained largely unchanged, thanks to the efforts of the Ginter Park Residents Association GPRA, which makes historical preservation a priority. The association puts on home and garden tours throughout the year.