Memorial Day is the official start of the summer season! Instead of just entertaining your residents with parties this summer – rally them for a cause that gets your community noticed. Why? There are so many great reasons, including building relationships, contributing to a cause that is important to your residents and great publicity for your community. Follow these steps to get your charitable event off the ground:
1. Select your cause – Engage your residents early to determine a cause, so you generate ideas that are not only creative, but appeal to your community.
2. Engage a few local businesses– Local coffee shops, bars, restaurants or grocery stores might partner with you to help with promotion, cost sharing and resources.
3. Plan your cause activities - These can include clothing drives, food drives, environmental projects, sporting challenges or banquets to fundraise for a charity. Ideally, try to include an onsite event that brings the media to your property. Get creative!
4. Contact local media outlets - Engage your local newspaper, radio station or TV station and provide them a summary of your event, the purpose and the schedule, as well as a personal invitation.
5. Promote the event - Using your resident newsletters, social media, website and your partners, promote the event to your renters and community.
Have you hosted a resident event for a cause? What are some tips you can share for making the event a success?