This post was originally written by Kerry Sugrue, former Social Media Specialist at Apartments.com.
Some people think making a New Year’s resolution is silly, but I would guess it’s because they never really followed through with one. I think making a promise to improve or make a change is a great way to set yourself up for an awesome year! With the ball drop only a couple days away, here are some tips for making a great resolution.
- Be honest – When deciding on your resolution, be totally honest with yourself and realistic when setting your goal. Start by picking one thing to work on and then build from there. For instance, if you want to get back in shape this year, don’t make your goal to run a marathon. Instead, try to make it to the gym four days a week. Once you feel good about that achievement, add something else to challenge yourself. Make sure to celebrate your successes along the way.
- Get started right away – Start planning now so you can get started on your resolution the first week of January. Those first couple days will bring a lot of motivation that you don’t want to miss out on.
- Be flexible – Your resolution may have to change in order to accommodate life. Things can come up that push you off course or force you to change your routine, but try to adjust and stay on track. Remember to acknowledge your small successes along the way and that will help you keep the end goal in mind.
- Stay motivated – Everyone gets motivated in different ways, so find what works for you. Whether it’s a note stuck to your bathroom mirror or a pump-up playlist on your iPod, do what you need to do to stay motivated and reach your goal.
- Reward yourself – Don’t just decide on your resolution, but decide on what your reward will be for sticking to it! A trip to the Caribbean, a relaxing massage, new earrings; whatever it is, make sure it is something you can really look forward to.
Have you decided on your New Year’s resolution? How do you plan on sticking to it?