October 1st is one of the biggest moving days of the year! Moving can often be a very stressful experience. To help your new residents settle in with ease, consider providing them with moving information when they sign a new lease. For inspiration, check out the Apartments.com Moving Checklist.
To ensure new residents’ moves go smoothly, consider these tips:
- Provide change of address forms they can fill out and submit to the post office.
- Remind them to cancel or transfer utilities, including gas, water, electricity, garbage pick-up, telephone, cable and Internet services to those offered at your community.
- Inform them of the time they will be able to pick up the keys to their new apartment.
Also, don’t forget those who may be moving out of your community. A smooth move-out process will ensure your new residents are able to move-in hassle free.
- Have a drop-off place where those moving out can drop off their keys.
- Make sure you have a forwarding address to send information about security deposits.
- Inform the former residents they are responsible for doing a final sweep of the apartment, including taking out any trash or garbage, before leaving.
What are your tips for a smooth move in or move out day?