Headed to the National Apartment Association Conference in Boston this year? When you attend a big educational conference like this, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the excitement of the show and the knowledge you’ll acquire. Here are a few tips on how to make the most out of your trip to NAA:
1. Plan ahead – With so many educational sessions to choose from, it’s not efficient to decide which ones to attend on the fly, so be sure to check out the show program before you travel. Make a plan with your coworkers to divvy up the schedule to get the most out of the sessions. Not going with anyone? You’re bound to run into someone you know or meet someone else traveling alone. Don’t be shy to swap notes with a friend!
2. Take meaningful notes: Often times, I’ll go to a session and jot down as many notes as I possibly can. Once I go back to my hotel room to review I think, What the heck does this even mean? Rather than scribbling down every word, stop and listen to what the presenter is actually saying. Ask yourself, How does this apply to me? If your organization can really benefit from this or you can spin the idea into a new creative piece, write it down. Oh – and don’t forget to bring an extra pen and notebook!
3. Mix and mingle – You only have a short time to be in the presence of amazing industry friends and this is a prime opportunity to network. Spend your time efficiently by scheduling get-togethers with people you want to meet before the show, and also save time for your new connections. Don’t forget to pack plenty of business cards and hand sanitizer, too!
4. Stay healthy –Eating right and working out is challenging enough as it is, but when you combine healthy living with traveling, it becomes particularly important! What you eat and how much sleep you get will impact your alertness and attentiveness all day. Stick to your regular dietary and exercise schedules to ensure peak performance all day.
5. Give yourself you time – It is now the end of the day and you’ve been on your feet for 16 hours. Your brain is overloaded with information. You’re crashing. You want your own bed. How can you get through one – even two – more days of this? Avoid the mental breakdown before it begins by finding a way to regroup between events. Take a few minutes between sessions to absorb what you learned by going to your room, finding a quiet area in the conference center or stepping outside for fresh air – anything to allow yourself to unwind and not be overwhelmed! If you divided up sessions among coworkers or friends, don’t feel guilty about taking a breather.
Now you’re ready for NAA! Be sure to come see Apartments.com at booth #571 to get something unique for your social media pages, a sneak peek at newly released studies and to network with the most awesome team in the industry!
Safe travels and we look forward to meeting you in person at the show!