This post was originally written by Kerry Sugrue, former Social Media Specialist at Apartments.com.
As cheesy as the title is, providing a safe and fun environment for your residents is very important when it comes to a shared fitness center, especially since 77% of renters told Apartments.com that they would be more likely to increase their workouts if there was a fitness facility in their building. Below are a couple tips to keep all those people healthy and happy in your fitness center:
- Hours of Operation: I love a good midnight jog just as much as the next guy, but my neighbor who lives directly below the fitness center probably doesn’t. Set some hours of operation for the center, which can correspond with your buildings already agreed upon quiet hours. Just keep in mind some people like to work out before work.
- Clean Machine: As sweet as the guy is who lives in 4-B, his sweat on the elliptical is not 4-ME. Provide antibacterial wipes or a spray bottle and paper towels for your residents to wipe down the machines. Clearly post above the cleaning supplies that they are to be used after every workout and returned so everyone can enjoy clean equipment.
- Equipment Safety: For you, as much as your residents, you should have the fitness equipment checked for maintenance issues once a year. No one wants to get tripped up by the treadmill! Just make sure to post the inspection dates so no one is surprised.
- Tips: Running on the treadmill everyday can get old, so give your residents some new ideas. Hang a bulletin board in the fitness center and post nutrition facts, new workout ideas, stretching suggestions and healthy recipes. You could even use it to coordinate a workout buddy program for those who need a little more motivation to hit the weights.
- Have Some Fun: Everyone loves a little competition, so why not sponsor a Get Fit for Spring contest to encourage your residents to use the fitness center. Create a point system and hang it on the bulletin board in the fitness center. Using the honor system, have residents record their points and at the end award the winner with an awesome prize! Maybe $50 to a popular work out store?
Have any more tips for maintaining a fabulous fitness center? I’d love to hear them! Share them, or any questions below.