This post was originally written by Kerry Sugrue, former Social Media Specialist at Apartments.com.
Top of the mornin’ to ya! With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, this is a great time to create a fun atmosphere in your apartment community and engage with your residents. As they say, everyone’s Irish on St. Paddy’s Day, so here are some ideas for activities, surprises, and Facebook posts that you can use this year in your community:
- Get a bunch of chocolate gold coins to make your own pot o’ gold in the lobby. You can also put some in everyone’s mailbox…residents might feel better opening their gas bill if it comes with candy!
- Every good Irishman knows that if you catch a leprechaun he gives you his pot of gold! Pick a famous landmark in your city to “hide a leprechaun.” For the week leading up to St. Paddy’s day, post clues for where he is hidden and the first resident to guess correctly wins a prize. Make sure to mix up where the clues are posted; on the front door, on your Facebook wall, in the fitness center, on your website, etc.
- Research information on local parades and bars that are having themed specials. Post everything in one location to help residents decide what their plans are for the festivities. If you have time and it’s in the budget, you could even get green beads for them to wear out.
- A popular event around this time is a corned beef and cabbage dinner. Use your party room to have dinner catered for your residents and advertise it as an opportunity to meet their neighbors. If attendance is going to be high, contact a local Irish Step Dancing school and ask for them to send some dancers over as entertainment. Most schools charge for events, but if you offer the opportunity for the dancers to ask for donations in support of their trip to a competition, they will usually do it for free.
- Post a different Irish history question on the outside of each mailbox and tape the answer on the inside. This may encourage interaction between residents, but it will for sure help with trivia night that week!
There are so many fun things you can do around the holidays to engage with your residents! These are just a couple of ideas for you to try. Make sure to let me know how they turn out! Can you think of other ways to celebrate the luck of the Irish?