When it comes to looking for a new apartment, there are lots of things to keep in mind while touring. Is the apartment safe? What features and amenities are included? Does the unit have washer/dryer hookups or is there an on-site laundry facility? Are pets allowed here?
Sometimes you may only get a couple of minutes to tour a potential place, which can make it challenging to come up with questions or concerns to ask a property manager. So how do you keep track? In our New Apartment Checklist, we've provided the most important things you should look for and think about when touring a new home.
- Are the door locks secure? What kind of deadbolt is used on the door?
- Are the windows secured? Check the locks and take a look outside for easy access points if unit is on a lower floor.
- Take a good look at smoke detectors, sprinklers and carbon-monoxide detectors - do they look in good working condition? When was the latest inspection on these safety devices? Does the kitchen include a fire extinguisher or fire blanket?
Apartment amenities and condition
- Is there an outlet(s) for Internet connection? Where is the connection for cable hookup, and will the position work for your living room setup?
- Make a note of essential appliances such as the refrigerator, stove/oven and microwave. Do they look clean and in good working condition?
- Be sure to check out the light switches and fixtures to make sure they are working properly.
- Check the water pressure in the kitchen and bathroom. Include faucets, toilets, and showerheads in your inspection. How long does it take for hot water to start flowing?
- Does the toilet flush properly? How is the flow and is it water efficient?
- Note the condition of the floors and the carpet. Check along the edges for the condition of the running boards, inspecting nooks and crannies along the way.
- Are the walls clean and in good condition? Keep a close eye out for stains or watermarks for evidence of leaks.
- Where is the circuit breaker located? Is it easily accessible in case of outages?
- Are there laundry facilities on-site? If so, where, and how easy is it to access from the specific unit? How do you pay for washer and dryer usage (i.e. cash, vending card)?
- What is the process for trash disposal and removal? Are there recycling facilities on-site?
- Where do packages get delivered? Is there a secure location for storage and pickup?
- What is the process for emergency maintenance requests? Is there someone available during office hours? What about after hours emergencies?
- Where do I park? How many spots are available per unit? How much do extra permits cost? Can I get guest parking passes?
- Is there space for storing other items such as bikes? Can I purchase additional storage space for my belongings? What does it cost?
- Note all public entrances. Are they secure?
- What is the policy for renting with pets? What types and breeds of pets are permitted? Is there an additional fee? Are there green spaces nearby for exercising my pet?
More apartment-rental tips and advice:
- 5 Smart Questions to Ask Before Signing a Lease
- What to Look for Before You Move In
- Things to Check for when Touring an Apartment
- Guidelines for College Students Who Want to Locate a Fabulous Apartment