Finding Apartments for Rent in Capitol Heights, MD
In the early 1900s, what is now the community of Capitol Heights, MD, had no sidewalks, street lamps, paved streets or railway station. In 1910, Capitol Heights was incorporated as it continued to develop and grow. Finally, in 1980, the town got its much delayed railway access when the Washington Metro line opened a station in town, connecting residents with national transportation hubs and the greater Washington, DC, metropolis. Capitol Heights has continued to grow, becoming a progressive modern community of 4,419 people.
Top Neighborhoods in Capitol Heights, MD
There are several distinctive neighborhoods in Capitol Heights, MD, offering apartment rentals of varied sizes, styles and rental rates. Attractive residential architecture in these areas ranges from Federal and Colonial styles to varied modern designs. These neighborhoods offer older, long-established houses that date from 1940 to 1970. There are also a number of more recent residences that were constructed between 1970 and 1999. Popular neighborhoods include the following:
- Walker Mill: This residential area is a suburban neighborhood consisting of charming rowhouses and other types of attached homes. The neighborhood has one of the largest percentages of residents with Sub-Saharan African and African heritage of all residential neighborhoods in the country.
- Rollins Avenue / Brooke Road: This suburban neighborhood is currently home to both homeowners and renters. Residence types include low-rise apartment unit complexes, high-rise rental units and townhouses. Most houses in this section are well-established, but not actually old constructions. These residential structures were built from 1970 to 1999. There are also some buildings that were constructed later than the year 2000.
- Town Center: Capitol Heights' Town Center section is an urban neighborhood with single-family houses along with both low-rise and high-rise apartment buildings. The majority of residential real estate in this area is older, having been constructed from 1940 to 1970. Some home property construction was completed from 1970 to 1999. The high vacancy rate in this locale is 16.7 percent and may include a fair number of seasonally occupied apartments and homes left unoccupied during vacation months or following the college term.
- Pennsylvania Avenue / Quarter Avenue: This urban neighborhood is mainly home to rental unit occupants. This section is composed of high and low-rise apartment unit complexes plus single-family residences. Buildings were constructed from 1940 to 1999. Properties in this area show a rather high vacancy rate of 15.0 percent, partially due to the seasonal movement of college students and professors.
- Coral Hills: This urban neighborhood is occupied by a combination of homeowners and apartment renters. Most residential real estate in this section was constructed from 1940 through 1969. There are also some buildings that were built prior to 1940. This area has a relatively high vacancy rate of 14.3 percent, so residents of this locale will notice seasonal movement among summer renters and college students.
Cultural Attractions in Capitol Heights, MD
Cultural sites and sports venues in Capitol Heights, MD, include the Sanctuary at Kingdom Square where religious services, cultural meetings and conferences are held and Fedex Field, the stadium that is home to the Redskins. Also popular is scenic Walker Mill Regional Park, a favorite local recreation spot. Capitol Heights is known for the natural beauty of its surrounding countryside. This picturesque park is no exception with the beauty of its waterfalls and lush green vegetation.
Dining in Capitol Heights, MD
Popular restaurants for dining and snacks in Capitol Heights are Taste of The Caribbean on Park Boulevard, serving delicious island specialties, and the White Corner Restaurant on Southern Avenue with a history of offering the best breakfast menu in the region over the past quarter of a century. A great place to stop in for fast, tasty lunches and snacks is Chick-fil-A on Alaking Court. There are also many fine dining venues in nearby Alexandria and Arlington, VA, or in Washington, DC.
Nightlife in Capitol Heights, MD
Popular nightlife in Capitol Heights includes 187 Entertainment on Walker Mill Road, offering a wide variety of music performances and shows along with Sugar Shack Night Club on Seat Pleasant Drive, presenting cabaret singers and nightclub performers. There is also an abundance of nightlife venues in nearby Arlington and Alexandria, VA, as well as Washington, DC. Capitol Heights’ convenient location within easy commuting distance from these metropolitan areas enables area residents and visitors to select from a wide array of these nightly entertainment options.
The attractive community of Capitol Heights, MD, has much to offer residents, new and old, in the way of a vibrant yet relaxing lifestyle in a conveniently located place of natural beauty with numerous desirable features, amenities and advantages.View Apartments in Capitol Heights, Maryland
Sorry, no results were found.
Please search again using the following suggestions.
- Make sure that the city and state or ZIP are entered correctly
- Search for nearby cities.
- Try using less specific search criteria.
Your email has been sent.