Finding Apartments for Rent in Hartford, CT
Early settlers from England arrived in what is now the city of Hartford, CT, in 1635. Although this early settlement was first named Newtown, its name was changed to Hartford in 1637 in honor of the town of Hertford in England. The U.S. Census Bureau statistics list the city's size as 18.0 square miles. The Connecticut River serves as a natural borderline, separating the communities of Hartford and East Hartford. Other surrounding towns include West Hartford, Windsor, South Windsor, Newington and Wethersfield. The famed Bushnell Park with its cultural and music center are also nearby.
Hartford, CT, has become known as a metropolitan center for medical treatment, research and education. Medical care and health treatment facilities within the city are Hartford Hospital, Connecticut Children's Medical Center, Mount Sinai Hospital, Saint Francis Hospital & Medical Center and The Institute of Living. Hartford is also known for its large insurance companies, including Travelers Insurance, CIGNA, Aetna and United Healthcare Insurance. There are also numerous Fortune 100 companies with headquarters in Hartford, such as the Hartford Financial Services Group and United Technologies Corporation.
Major Neighborhoods in Hartford, CT
The Asylum Hill section is both a commercial and residential area, and in this neighborhood are the historic residences of Mark Twain and Harriet Beecher Stowe. In the West End area, you will find the Connecticut Governor's official residence and the University of Connecticut School of Law as well as apartments and housing often rented by faculty members and students. Also in this scenic area of the city is the Hartford Golf Club. The elegant North East neighborhood includes Keney Park and some of the oldest and most outstanding architecturally ornate homes in the region. Little Italy in the city's South End section has long been the home neighborhood of the many Italian residents. Hartford Hospital is located in the South Green area, and in South Meadows you will find the main industrial part of the city along with Hartford-Brainard Airport, providing regular flights to regional, national and some international destinations.
In the North Meadows area are charming retail stores and boutiques, automobile dealerships and other businesses. Frog Hollow, a neighborhood near the Downtown section where the State Capitol, museums and major businesses are located, is home to historic Trinity College and its surrounding apartments and housing buildings. The Blue Hills neighborhood is a residential section that also includes the University of Hartford. In the Upper Albany area, you will enjoy many international style restaurants and shops. All considered, Hartford is a city with a diverse, youthful population offering a wide variety of educational, cultural, industrial and lifestyle options to new apartment dwellers.
Cultural Attractions in Hartford, CT
The city of Hartford, CT, has many fine cultural locations and activities of great interest to both residents and visitors during all seasons of the year and for all ages, including:
- Bushnell Park: Bushnell Park is the oldest park in the U.S. that is funded by the public. At the request of Rev. Horace Bushnell, native Swiss landscape architect, Jacob Weidenmann, designed the park with its elegant tree clusters and gently winding paths around the Park River banks. This scenic park of 37 acres includes displays of sculpture and other artworks, recreation areas, the historic Carousel and Pump House Art Gallery. In addition, the well-known Performance Pavilion, first opened in 1995, hosts many theatrical, music and dance events each year.
- Connecticut State Capitol & Legislative Office Building: This impressive government building is located on Capitol Avenue in Hartford's Downtown district. The Capitol Building is the center of government for the state of Connecticut. It is a national historic landmark, and its windows offer beautiful views of Bushnell Park.
- Connecticut Science Center: This educational center was first known as the Connecticut Center for Science & Exploration. With a location on Columbus River in the Downtown neighborhood of Hartford, this expansive and attractive structure offers an exhilarating learning experience to children and adults alike.
Restaurants and Nightlife in Hartford, CT
Hartford has an abundance of popular restaurants and nightclubs for the dining pleasure and entertainment of city residents and visitors, including the following:
- Black Bear Saloon: This popular restaurant and sports bar is a favorite gathering place on Allyn Street in the Downtown section of Hartford. Serving American style food and a full bar of beverages, this sports eatery provides more than 30 HD TV screens for your live-event enjoyment.
- Bin 228 Winebar: This favored Italian restaurant serves delicious lunches, dinners and bar food along with a huge selection of fine wines to suit every taste and whim. It is located in Downtown Hartford on Pearl Street near such popular arts and entertainment venues as Theater Works, Hartford Stage and the Bushnell Memorial Theater.
- The Palace: Located on Allyn Street in Downtown Hartford, this nightclub offers the ultimate in music, decor, ambiance and service to guests. Luxury and eccentric, yet fashionable elegance as well as good times are yours at this upbeat night spot. Here you can always relax and enjoy the best drinks along with great music nightly.
Shopping in Hartford, CT
Favorite shopping areas in Hartford include Charter Oak Marketplace offering Marshalls department store on Overlook Terrace and Fashion Bug on William Shorty Campbell Street. Fiona Stone Boutique on Pearl Street in the Downtown section and Stackpole Moore & Tryon Co. located on Trumbull Street near the Hartford Civic Center are also popular shopping venues.
The exciting and versatile city of Hartford, CT, has many cultural, educational, entertainment and lifestyle advantages for all new apartment renters throughout its many neighborhoods. Now is the perfect time to relocate to a beautiful rental property unit in this innovative and engaging locale.View Apartments in Hartford, Connecticut
Sorry, no results were found.
Please search again using the following suggestions.
- Make sure that the city and state or ZIP are entered correctly
- Search for nearby cities.
- Try using less specific search criteria.
Your email has been sent.